MARIA-PIA NEGRO CHIN
- Fluent in Spanish and English.
- Production: Computer-assisted reporting, photo slideshows, video and Web content.
- Writing, editing, copy-editing, interviewing, AP Style.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator, Quark. Experience with Apple Final Cut, iMovie, Microsoft Access and Excel, Fusion Tables, Audacity and basic HTML.
Bilingual Associate Editor, Maryknoll magazines
Ossining, N.Y.: August 2016-Present
- Writes, edits and translates articles for Maryknoll Magazine and Spanish-language Misioneros (formerly known as Revista Maryknoll), both published by the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers, a Catholic mission organization serving abroad for more than 100 years.
New York, N.Y.: October 2014-Present
- Covers diversity, education, religion and immigration for national magazines and newspapers. (Some published work includes stories in Nuestra Voz, Our Sunday Visitor, Sojourners Magazine and theatlantic.com.)
Reporter/Photographer, The Tablet
Brooklyn, N.Y.: April 2015-August 2016
- Reported on local news and community events in Brooklyn and Queens. Assists in the production of weekly newspaper.
- Covered World Youth Day in Krakow, Poland, in 2016. In charge of the Youth Page of the newspaper (Starting on January, 2016).
- Traveled to the Philippines with other Catholic journalists to report on the aftermath of Super Typhoon Haiyan as part of CRS’s Egan Journalism Fellowship in 2015. (Series of stories about the recovery efforts available here)
Staff Writer, Arlington Catholic Herald
Arlington, Va.: March 2013-July 2014
- Wrote award-winning news stories in English and Spanish for weekly newspaper in Northern Virginia. Third place, Best news coverage of an international/national event (Spanish), Catholic Press Association, 2014; Third place, Best news writing originating with the paper: international event, Catholic Press Association, 2014
- Reported on local news, education and Hispanic topics. Covered current events, as well as presenting more complex topics in a clear manner.Live-tweeted, shot photos and reported on local news, education, immigration, justice issues, community initiatives, the Latino population and niche events, as well as presenting more complex topics in a clear manner.
- Launched and managed the online “En Español” section of the Herald.
Copy Editing Intern, The New York Times
New York City, N.Y.: June 2013-August 2013
- Alumna of the Dow Jones News Fund program. Copy-edited articles, features and blog posts on the Business Day copy desk.
- Wrote headlines and caption information for articles about the economy, markets, technology, media and international business.
Multimedia Reporter, Capital News Service
College Park, Md.: August 2012-December 2012
- Produced multimedia packages on Maryland politics, businesses and daily life.
- Covered the Maryland Delegation at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C., including writing stories, live tweeting and photographing.
Intern/Reporter, Catholic News Service
Washington DC: May 2012-July 2012
- Reported on health and nutrition, education, religion and human rights issues for national and international audience.
- Interned for an American news service covering the Catholic church.
Freelance Writer, Prince George’s Sentinel and AOL Patch
College Park, Md.: September 2011-March 2013
- Wrote about housing, economic disparities, small businesses, technology, Latino issues and local events for weekly newspaper.
- Covered town halls and local business and local personalities for different patches websites.
Intern, Loyola Magazine, Loyola University
Timonium, Md.: September-December 2010
- Wrote and fact-checked multiple articles and sections of Loyola’s quarterly magazine.
Editorial Intern, Urbanite Magazine
Baltimore, Md.: January-April 2010**
- Interviewed sources and fact-checked articles for monthly issues and for the weekly newsletters.
- Wrote articles and updates for The Goods, Baltimore Observed and Transformer sections of this free monthly magazine.
Communications Coordinator/ Graduate Assistant, University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies (UMIACS)
College Park, Md.: June 2011-May 2012
- Generated news updates, features, faculty profiles, tables of data and image maps. Designed flyers and other visuals.
- Compiled content for the launching of a new website, including databases and photographs.
Apprentice House Social Media Assistant, Department of Communication, Loyola University
Baltimore, Md.: September 2009-May 2011
- Maintained publishing house’s website, Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Handled mail to authors and library of Congress.
- Assisted professor with projects and helped planning student events.
Latin American and Latino Studies Program, Assistant / Webmaster, Department of Modern Languages and Literature, Loyola University
Baltimore, Md.: October 2007-May 2010
- Edited over 20 manuscripts in Spanish for academic book “El porvenir nos debe una victoria.” (ISBN: 978-9972-835-12-4).
- Produced and edited website content, designed marketing material and supported the planning of local and international events.
University of Maryland – College Park, Md.: December 2012. GPA: 3.77
Master of Journalism candidate (Multiplatform track)Loyola University Maryland – Baltimore, Md.: May 2011. Overall GPA:3.8 Summa Cum Laude
Bachelor of Arts in Communication/Writing (Interdisciplinary Major)
Professional Membership: National Association of Hispanics Journalists.
Honors and Awards: Third place, Best news coverage of an international/national event (Spanish), Catholic Press Association, 2014; Third place, Best news writing originating with the paper: international event, Catholic Press Association, 2014; SPJ Mark of Excellence Awards 2012, National Finalist for Online News Reporting and Online In-Depth Reporting (CNS Staff for “Republican and Democratic Conventions” and Carnegie/Urban Reporting class for “Maryland Families: Falling behind”), Salzburg Academy Fellow, Eleanor Merrill Fellow, Loyola’s Dean List (eight semesters), Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honor Society -Mu Kappa chapter (2010, 2011), Communication Department Writing Award (2011), Pi Epsilon Pi Writing Honor Society (2010, 2011), Outstanding Sophomore Achievement in Journalism (2009).
- At-Large Officer: Washington D.C. Chapter, National Association of Hispanic Journalists (Jan. 2014-July 2014) – Professional chapter of Hispanic journalists in the Washington area.
- Member: Green and Grey Society (2010-2011) – Group of 14 seniors who were an advisory board to Loyola’s president.
- Co-President: Student Writers’ Workshop at Loyola (2009-2011).
- Vice-President and President: Association of Latin American and Spanish Students (2009-2010 and 2008-2009).
- Service/Volunteer: Good Stuff Campaign, ALANA Mentor, Beans & Bread, Senior Week Volunteer, Don Miller House, Spring Break Outreach (SBO) -Newark , Chapel Choir.
**Sadly, The Urbanite–a free monthly magazine that provided news about Baltimore–went out of business in September 2012. See this Baltimore Sun article for more information.